Healthy

Treatment for Poison ivy

If you’re spending a lot of your time in nature, chances are you’ll get an occasional brush against poison ivy. This causes an allergic reaction on the skin which got in contact with the plant and can become really annoying and itchy, close to painful itchiness if you don’t treat it properly. A proper treatment for poison ivy would be to take some remedies in pill form that are used to treat allergic reactions on the spot, or some home remedies that you know off to be efficient. The most important part in this is actually preventing the exposure to get you full on, so you’re basically looking to do something about this as quickly as possible to ease yourself within hours of being exposed. Let’s take a look at what should you do in case you brush yourself against poison ivy.

What to do in case of a bad poison ivy touch

First and foremost, make sure to remove your clothes and place them somewhere safe, where you won’t get in contact with them before these are thoroughly washed. Since poison ivy basically leaves its small segments in case of an exposure, your clothes can easily pick these up and induce the exposure even further. You should get yourself washed as quickly as possible, if you are out there in the wild, look for a lake in which you should thoroughly wash yourself to get rid of all of the poison ivy particles. If you’ve touched the ivy with your finger or a small segment of your skin, use a water bottle to wash it properly. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t use those cheap soaps that have oils in them as these can spread your skin pores making the contact even more excruciating.

It’s also very important not to scratch the exposed area, as this will further irritate the spot and also spread the particles onto your fingers, which will then probably spread to anywhere else or anyone else you touch with them. Use something cold to reduce the itchiness, like a rock or cold water bottles. Keep these items pressed firmly on the spots for at least 10 to 15 minutes. If possible, leave the area to be dried off naturally, without using towels or any other fabric, as this can irritate the area even more.

If you’re close to your home, you can use dish washing liquid as a treatment for poison ivy. Since this item is designed in such a way to remove oil stains, it will help to remove any excess poison ivy oils that were left on the spot during the exposure. Use a soft sponge which is gentle to the touch to prevent further irritation and spreading of the spot. Basically, you should use any kind of remedy that will help to dissolve oils and clean the spot up. In extreme cases you can use gasoline or alcohol, just make sure not to expose yourself to a fire until the fluid has completely vapored.

About the author

Rani Vyas

Rani Vyas

I'm a Medical Consultant Doctor with a keen interest in Medical bioinformatics and genuinely intriguing way of presenting boring medical knowledge in an enchanting and eye catching way.

Leave a Comment