Health

Treating Mold Toxicity

Do you know the dangers of toxic mold? If you don’t, take a look at this article to learn how to treat mold toxicity.

Mold and Toxic Mold

The term “mold” is often interchangeably used with the term “toxic mold.” This refers to specific species of fungi that are capable of producing mycotoxins. These toxins have been shown to cause a variety of adverse reactions in humans, including allergic respiratory responses (e.g., allergic rhinitis, asthma), neurological symptoms (e.g., headache, dizziness), and gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g., nausea).

Determine if You Have Mold Toxicity

The following are common symptoms:

  • respiratory responses, such as allergic rhinitis and asthma
  • nasal congestion, congestion in the throat or post-nasal drip, sneezing and/or coughing
  • headaches and dizziness
  • nausea, vomiting
  • weight loss

However, keep in mind that these symptoms are associated with a variety of other health conditions. As such, it is important to visit your physician if you are experiencing these or similar symptoms. He will perform a general exam to rule out other possible causes of your symptoms. In addition, you may need to undergo tests to find out whether there is an underlying mold-related cause for your symptoms.

Treatments For Mold Exposure

The treatment for mold toxicity depends on the exposure type and how long it has occurred. Occasionally an allergic reaction will occur without knowing if one is allergic to any kind of mold, which can lead to difficulty in diagnosis, but later on symptoms may emerge due to the allergy or toxicity over time.

A doctor should be consulted if unusual symptoms persist after stopping exposure or there is reason for concern that a chronic condition may have developed as a result of the toxic exposure caused by being in the vicinity of a mold. It is important to do this early on in the ability to treat the problem. Chronic symptoms that develop as a result of mold toxicity can include asthma, respiratory issues, allergies and even skin problems such as eczema and bacterial infections.

Acute exposure includes molds that are found on surfaces or are airborne. The symptoms of an acute exposure will begin immediately after contact and last for only a short period of time (hours or days). The most common symptoms are skin irritation and respiratory problems.

Doctors are trained in many different areas of medicine and will be able to give you advice based on the type of exposure to mold. It is important to also consult a doctor for any unusual symptoms that persist after stopping exposure, as this may be indicative of a chronic condition such as asthma.

It is crucial to know the type of mold that has been exposed. Not all molds are alike, and some will require a stronger medication to alleviate the symptoms. If left untreated, some molds can cause chronic health problems such as asthma.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *