About Sleeve Gastrectomy
Gastric sleeve, also known as “sleeve gastrectomy,” is a kind of weight loss surgery wherein a surgeon takes out a big piece of the stomach and restructures it. This weight loss surgery is irreversible and less costly as compared to bypass surgery.
About Lap Band Surgery
What is lap band surgery? This is another weight loss surgery. The procedure involves an adjustable gastric band that goes around the stomach and seals off a part of the abdomen. With this procedure, the patient is unable to eat more as their stomach can now hold only a minimal amount of food.
Lap band surgery in Roswell NM, is reversible, and a majority of patients who undergo this procedure don’t keep the band in for long. They normally have it taken out following a particular time period.
The Difference between Both the Procedures
Gastric sleeve and lap band have many similarities, as well differences. You shouldn’t be confused while selecting any of the two bariatric procedures. Let us learn the differences between sleeve gastrectomy and gastric band surgery.
- Gastric band surgery is temporary and reversible, whereas sleeve gastrectomy is not. This is the major difference between the two. If you want to have your gastric band removed, then you are allowed to do so.
- An adjustable gastric band is used during gastric band surgery for narrowing the tummy and averting it from being able to eat more. On the other hand, the sleeve gastrectomy procedure actually reconstructs the tummy with surgical tools.
Who Is the Best Candidate for A Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Any person with the following attributes is generally considered a suitable candidate for any weight loss surgery:
- Body Mass Index of 40 or Body Mass Index of 35 and having weight-associated diseases like asthma, acid reflux, diabetes, sleep apnea, or high blood pressure.
- The age of the person should be at least 18 years.
- The person’s weight should be a minimum of 100 pounds over the estimated ideal weight.
- The person must be dedicated to lasting lifestyle changes like maintaining a diet, working out, and quitting bad habits.
Benefits of a Bariatric Surgery
- The patients reduce around 60 to 70 percent of their excess weight.
- Remission of type 2 diabetes and other obesity-related conditions.
- Relief from joint pain.
- Improvement in heart health
- Relief from stress and depression