Millions of people worldwide suffer from tooth loss secondary to injury, tooth decay, and periodontal disease. The good news? There’s now a great option available for those who have lost their teeth and want it replaced—dental implants.
The dental implant procedure is carried out to provide a natural-looking replacement for missing teeth. It works by replacing the tooth roots to provide a robust foundation for either permanent (fixed) or removable teeth.
What’s even more impressive is that dental implants don’t just look like natural teeth. They also function just like natural teeth. No wonder it is the preferred treatment option of many patients who have lost their tooth nowadays.
Who are the Ideal Dental Implant Candidates?
Dental implants are considered the best option for patients who would like to maintain their smile and their oral health. While unfortunate to note, dental implants are not for everyone. Certain criteria must be met before you are deemed a good candidate.
Case in point: you need to have enough bone and healthy gums that can hold the dental implant in place before you can be considered a great candidate for the procedure.
Since the procedure can take several months, dental implant candidates should commit to good oral hygiene. They should also be willing to visit their dentist several times to complete the procedure and to have it checked.
If you are a heavy smoker, have radiation therapy to either your neck or head area, have an uncontrolled medical condition, you need to be evaluated on a case to case basis. If you are considering getting dental implants, it is recommended that you speak with your dentist to check if it is the best option for your case.
It is also important to remember that most insurance companies won’t cover dental implant procedures. While some cover it under their health insurance plan, it can vary from one case to another depending on your situation and individual needs.
In line with this, it is advisable that you ask your dentist about insurance coverage. You can also check with your insurance company or your administrator at work if dental implants are covered.
The Many Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are highly popular and preferred and with good reason. Some of the most enticing benefits dental implants offer include:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants can dramatically improve your smile without the need for extensive cosmetic work. Moreover, dental implants feel and look just like your natural teeth. This allows you to talk, smile, and chew with utmost ease.
- Improved comfort. Dental implants will allow you to speak without worrying if your teeth might slip (this is often a concern among those who wear dentures). Those who wear poor-fitting dentures might find it difficult to pronounce words or eat properly when their dentures shift into unwanted positions in their mouth.
- Improved chewing ability. For those who are having difficulty eating because of their dentures, dental implants might be an option. As mentioned earlier, dental implants look and function just like the natural teeth. That said, it can help restore your chewing ability so you can fully enjoy eating your favorite foods again without hassle and pain.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can also help with your self-esteem because it can give you a healthy and beautiful smile. Understandably, a beautiful and healthy smile can help you feel better about yourself and improve your confidence level significantly.
- Improved oral health. With dental implants, the surrounding teeth will stay as is. Unlike other treatment options that would require reducing the surrounding teeth (i.e., tooth-supported bridges), dental implants are less invasive to the nearby teeth. This is beneficial for your long-term oral health.